Three things to know after you file your tax returns

Now that you’ve likely filed your 2021 tax return, there’s a good chance you have paperwork you no longer need, have a refund being processed, or will need to file an amended return.

Here’s what to know in all three situations:

You can throw away some tax records now

You should hang onto tax records related to your return for as long as the IRS can audit your return or assess additional taxes. The statute of limitations is generally three years after you file your return, which means that you can get rid of most records related to tax returns for 2018 and earlier years. That also means that if you filed an extension for your 2018 return, hold on to your records until at least three years from when you filed the extended return.

Remember that the statute of limitations extends to six years for taxpayers who understate their gross income by more than 25%.

You should keep certain tax-related records longer. For example, keep the actual tax returns indefinitely so you can prove to the IRS that you filed a return. There’s no statute of limitations for an audit if you didn’t file a return or you filed a fraudulent one.

Keep records associated with a retirement account until you’ve depleted the account and reported the last withdrawal on your tax return, plus three (or six) years. And retain records related to real estate or investments for as long as you own the asset, plus at least three years after you sell it and report the sale on your tax return. Keep these records for six years if you want to be extra safe.

You can check on your refund status

The IRS has an online tool that can tell you the status of your refund. Go to and click “Get Your Refund Status” to find out about yours. You’ll need your Social Security number, filing status, and the exact refund amount.

If you forgot to report something, file an amended return

In general, you can file an amended tax return and claim a refund within three years after the date you filed your original return or within two years of the date you paid the tax, whichever is later. So, for a 2021 tax return you filed on April 15, 2022, you can generally file an amended return until April 15, 2025.

However, there are a few opportunities when you have longer to file an amended return. For example, the statute of limitations for bad debts is longer than the usual three-year time limit for most items on your tax return. In general, you can amend your tax return to claim a bad debt for seven years from the due date of the tax return for the year that the debt became worthless.

We’re here to help 

If you have questions about tax record retention, your refund, or filing an amended return, reach out to me or anyone on the tax services team at KraftCPAs. We’ll be happy to help at tax time or any time during the year.

© 2022 KraftCPAs PLLC. Illustration by pch.vector/

KraftCPAs can help.

Call us at 615-242-7351 or complete the form below to connect with an advisor.

  • Should be Empty:
  • Topic Name:

Search Site

Search Team

Search Articles